Friday 1 March 2013

What you put your attention on grows stronger

I can see lightbulbs flashing and hear bells ringing!

"What you put your attention on grows stronger in your life".  This might be something that you all know about already - but it is a major newsflash for me, as Oprah says, an AhHa moment.  I love to read, and am currently reading a book called The Passion Test- The Effortless Path to Discovering your Life Purpose by Janet Bray Attwood and Chris Attwood.

Now this line really got to me, let me share a little more.  "Develop the habit of giving attention to everything that supports your intention and being indifferent to those that are not."  I reckon this has real applications for losing weight and getting healthy.  So, my intention for this round of 12WBT is to finally get to my goal weight of 60kg (I get real close, and then put a few kgs back on) and to continue building muscle, so that I am leaner.  Hmmm, so every time I'm engaging with that negative dialogue that we all have "If I just have one piece, it won't hurt", or "Well, I've already messed up today, so I may as well eat whatever I want"  I'm giving my attention to what I don't want - gaining weight, all or nothing eating, letting food control me.  Oh.  The more time I spend giving my attention to my goals, surrounding myself with like-minded people that support me, eating healthful food that is delicious, challenging myself in my training sessions, looking at pictures of strong women with lean, athletic physiques, the better - the stronger my intention grows.  I like this!

Now of course, life is not one straight, flat road - bummer! What to do then with the mountains and sharp bends that come our way?  "Put your attention on all the good in your life, deal with situations that must be dealt with, and don't dwell on anything that doesn't support what you choose to create."

"Unfortunately, most people focus their attention on all the reasons their dreams won't come true.  Why?  Because they're afraid they won't get what they want.  When you are consumed by fear, when your attention is on the things that are going wrong in your life, you create inactivity and boredom, or even worse, you create the things you fear will happen to you."  I don't know about you - but I've sure been down that path a time or two!  For instance, I've recently gained 4kg.  I'm scared that I'll never reach my ultimate goal, and that I will have to be fighting with my body for the rest of my life, in order to maintain the weight I have lost.  So there is a lot of negative dialogue going on in my head - and as is shown by the 4kg weight gain - some accompanying behaviours - you know I'm talking about you Red Tulip Easter Bunny! to match it.

Now, I'm just wondering where they sell those blinkers that they put on horses, so they can't look anywhere except for where they're going!

PS - You can take a  free little quiz at the link below, about the Passion Test.   When I read the feedback for mine - it was like they were sitting watching me in my life, quite spot on.  Happy passion discovering.

No comments:

Post a Comment