Thursday 2 June 2011

A first time for everything!

It has been said that there is a first time for everything. When I packed up three of the kids and their bikes and balls and drove to our local oval to do my outdoor training session today, I had no idea that I would experience a first.

Today has been the most beautiful sunny Winter's day - one of those ones where somehow the sun's rays seem to warm you right through into your bones - very soul-soothing. As we arrived at the oval, I noticed the gates were open, when usually they are shut, except for football training sessions, matches and the like. Upon further investigation, I see that the groundskeeper is mowing the oval ready for weekend football. It is at this point that I'm wishing I'd stayed home and trained. Don't get me wrong, I love the training part - but when it comes to training with an audience - I am a little shy. I'm happy to run the streets of my town, but burpees, tricep dips and sumo squats....with spectators.....here's where I start to feel about 2 feet tall, looking for the nearest exit!

Today, though, was a new day. In an effort to burn some calories, and provide the groundskeeper with a bit of comic relief in his day - I trained! I walked the oval with two of the kids pumping their little legs as fast as they could to keep up, asking "Can you push me on the swing Mum?". I did sumo squats, with my behind to the poor man - I was worried I would pike if I got a glimpse of the expression on his face. I did burpees as fast as my legs would let me, with my glasses falling off and my t-shirt riding up, and my pants riding down! Wanted to get those buggers done before something indecent involving my clothing occurred. I TRAINED! I think my face was red from exertion - not embarassment, and hopefully, my antics helped the groundskeeper to pass the time as he made his smaller an smaller circles.

Grateful for my quiet house.
Grateful for that lovely - I'm falling asleep feeling
Grateful for sunshine on a Winter's day

No comments:

Post a Comment